Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Working Towards Spring

I know of nothing that makes one feel more complacent...than to have vegetables from his own garden...It's a kind of declaration of independence. --Charles Dudley Warner (My Summer in a Garden)

As spring draws nearer, bypassing winter I look forward to it as soon as the winter solstice arrives.  January I start plotting and planning, planting a few things inside in January. Winter doesn't exist if I don't let it.  Every year the garden gets a little better.  Mostly because after moving here 4 years ago I'm finding my routine so I can focus on building up the garden. 

The first thing I had to do is find the best location on the property (2.32 acres).  So I took notice of where the sunniest spot was during all seasons of the year.  Where was the sunniest spot for the longest amount of time during the day?  After I found that, Larry and I started building the garden.  4 x 8 ft 12" raised beds.  We built 8 boxes and ordered in some dirt.  We started with them half full the first year, because it took a lot of dirt and sweat just to get them that full.  Every year we add more dirt and compost to the boxes so little by little they'll end up full.

Every year is a learning lesson.  What didn't work, what did well, how much to plant and how much not to.  Always at the end of the year, you already want the next to start so you can do it better.    






No comments:

Post a Comment