Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cold Storage Project

Very often I stop and think (one must) of the hidden life in the cellar storeroom during the winter. I think of all those beings taken from the garden, whom the plucking has not quite killed, and who, without light, barely breathing, live like fakirs, or in limbo. --Fernand Lequenne (My Friend the Garden)

I'm starting this year's project.  A cold storage down in the basement.  So little by little I'll be sharing pictures of the progress in building it.  Here's the beginning:

Step one:  Sweeping and planning where the walls will go.

Step 2:  Covering the ducting.
My plan is to vent the cool air under the addition (where the hole is in the wall) into the cold storage.  Then vent out the warmer air.  I'll be cleaning the floor and painting it then erecting walls with a door.  The plastic shelves work well because they have good venting and will not rust. I may build some different shelving of wood as well as use another shelf like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment